GLEANERS FOOD BANK
Hunger in Indiana - Some call it an epidemic. Others call it an outrage. We call it a time to act.
Did you know that a number of our fellow Hoosiers are sinking into poverty? Here are some statistics you might find interesting:
A staggering 304,307 people in Gleaners’ service area are food insecure.
• One out of six people in America struggle with food insecurity.
• Gleaners serves an estimated 69,187 children through the summer.
• In Gleaners’ 21-county service area, more than 287,000 people live in poverty – and more than 103,000 of them are children.
• The recent national economic crisis has hit elderly people, the working poor and hungry children especially hard.
We are continuing our charitable efforts again this year by supporting Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana and their BackSacks: Weekend Food for Kids program. Here’s what you can do to help out those less fortunate than yourself:
1. Drop off your conference bag in one of the big blue barrels near the Registration Desk and support Gleaners’ efforts in delivery 10,000 BackSacks every week to 222 participating schools in their service area.
2. Bring in kid-friendly, shelf-stable foods including snacks and drinks for students in grades K through 6.
3. Make a donation to your local food bank. Every $1 you donate provides 4 meals for Hoosiers in need. Look for information near the Registration Desk on how to donate.
Support Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana and fight the hunger crisis in our communities every day.